Saturday, January 28, 2012

Google Reader Project

Our EDUC 520 Team 2 created a presentation on Google Reader - Google's application which allows the user to subscribe to various news feeds and blogs all in one place.  




In this presentation you will find:

  • A brief description of Google Reader and a few of its key features
  • How this tool could be used to improve productivity or enhance teaching/learning
  • Our team's reflections on this tool and how we might use it
  • Resource links where one can learn more about Google Reader

For this project, I helped share how this tool can be useful by being able to subscribe to "bundles" of news feeds - several feeds on the same topic.  I also provided a YouTube site on how a fellow science teacher utilized this application.  Last, I shared my reflections on how I might use this in a science setting and also a drawback in that I could see it also quickly becoming overwhelming if one doesn't manage their subscriptions.

As a science teacher, I can see this as being a great time saving tool in that I can subscribe to multiple science related RSS feeds so I'm keeping up on current events for class discussions.  Also, I can share the latest research on topics we may be covering in class.  And, my students could use it to subscribe to all their teacher's blogs and keep up with classes in that manner.

At first I didn't really get the uniqueness of this application as it is very similar to MyYahoo personal page.  There, I've also subscribed to many RSS feeds on science topics and other topics of personal interest to me.  However, I'm not sure one can subscribe to blogs on MyYahoo.  Sometimes in the Google environment, I'm not sure where I am or how to quickly get to another area.  So, I'm still getting more acquainted with the Google world.

I hope you enjoy our presentation and can take something from it to make Google Reader work for you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your responses, and one can see you are already familiar with the concept of RSS. I think an advantage to Google Reader is that it's in the same family as Docs/Sheets/Presentations/YouTube/Picasa/Forms, and the list goes on. To know that if you are logged in to your account that you are 1-step from all your subscriptions is pretty efficient.

    John, can you place the URL to your Presentation into this blog post? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed that your image was your hot-link. Ignore request in previous comment.

    ReplyDelete